Winston's Wish - the charity for bereaved children
At Winston’s Wish we provide support for bereaved children and young people up to the age of 18. We also support their parents or carers. Whether the person was ill for sometime or a death totally unexpected, we work closely with children and families, in a variety of practical and creative ways, to create an atmosphere where they can share their thoughts and feelings and meet others.
Our child-focused approach supports the whole family. The Winston’s Wish range of services includes the following:
- national helpline for anyone caring for a child coping with the serious illness or death of a family member (08452 03 04 05)
- group work with bereaved children and their families
- individual work with bereaved children and their families
- range of publications, resources and educational films
- support programme for schools
- tailor-made training and consultancy for professionals.
What we stand for
Our programmes recognise how children experience grief. We therefore include time to have fun and for creative activities as well as time to focus and work through more painful issues.
Our service model has been adapted and used by many other organisations throughout the UK.
Winston's Wish is a member of the following organisations:
- Childhood Bereavement Network www.childhoodbereavementnetwork.org.uk
- National Council for Voluntary Organisations www.ncvo-vol.org.uk
- Back to top